WGIL News Audio: 7am News, Sports and Obits click HERE | For the latest WGIL news click HERE

Dryer Fire Damages Galesburg Home

WGIL Newsroom . Local News 299

A home in the 300 block of Indiana Avenue suffered heavy smoke damage Wednesday night.
Galesburg Fire Chief Tom Simkins says that, for now, they believe the cause of the fire started with a dryer inside the home.Crews got the call around 9:35 last night and were able to respond to the home within about three minutes.
It didn’t take crews long to get the blaze under control – taking less than one hour according to Simkins. Hot spots were still being battled shortly thereafter.
The fire is believed to have started in the laundry room, leaving room for fire crews to enter the home through the front door.
More crews put a line in through the window to combat the flames.
The home was described as a rental property. No serious injuries were reported, but one tenant was being treated for smoke inhalation.
Five men were called back from off-duty work to help manage the situation – something Simkins says is standard.
The incident is still being investigated.