WGIL News Audio: 7am News, Sports and Obits click HERE | For the latest WGIL news click HERE

Police Say Man Stole SIU Student Newspaper Truck

WGIL Newsroom . State News 73

CARBONDALE, Ill. (AP) — A southern Illinois man is jailed on suspicion of stealing a truck used for deliveries of a college student newspaper and using that vehicle to sideswipe two police cars during a chase.

Jackson County prosecutors charged 44-year-old Bernard Adams on Thursday with theft, aggravated fleeing and other felonies.

WSIL-TV reports Alex Edgar was delivering Southern Illinois University’s student newspaper, the Daily Egyptian, on Wednesday night when he left the truck running and unattended while entering a gas station.

Edgar says someone commandeered the truck, which the newspaper rents from the university.

Police say that after they found Adams in Marion, he sped away and led police on a chase that ended when he destroyed the truck.

A message left Friday with his public defender wasn’t immediately returned.

All AP stories are Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

The following provision applies to all visitors (which shall include persons and representatives of legal entities, whether such representatives are persons or digital engines of a kind that crawls, indexes, scrapes, copies, stores or transmits digital content). By accessing this Web site or digital service, you specifically acknowledge and agree that: (i) Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium; (ii) No Associated Press materials nor any portion thereof may be stored in a computer except for personal and non-commercial use; (iii) The Associated Press will not be held liable for any delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions therefrom or in the transmission or delivery of all or any part thereof or for any damages arising from any of the foregoing; (iv) The Associated Press is an intended third party beneficiary of these terms and conditions and it may exercise all rights and remedies available to it; and (v) The Associated Press reserves the right to audit possible unauthorized commercial use of AP materials or any portion thereof at any time.