DIXON, Ill. (AP) — The accidental electrocution last month of a 3-year-old Illinois boy was caused by current from an improperly grounded family camper.
The (Dixon) Telegraph reports it’s a problem known among recreational vehicle enthusiasts as “hot skin.”
Landyn Gerald Keener, a 3-year-old from Amboy, died June 30 when he touched a door handle of the camper while standing on wet ground.
Lee County Sheriff John Varga calls it a tragic accident and says nobody was at fault.
Electrical engineer Mike Sokol tells the newspaper he’s started a website to educate RV owners about electrical safety. He recommends buying a noncontact voltage tester at a hardware store to test for problems. He also recommends using only electrical outlets for RVs that were installed by a professional.